Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Holy Differential!


The little noise coming from the back of my car has turned into a $1300 problem! I can't even wrap my head around the consequences. Since moving here to Michigan I truly see how ridiculous this car centric culture is. There is nothing convenient about the expense of having a car. Gas, Insurance and upkeep. This list is only the personal expenses. Think about the money it takes to pave the huge swaths of parking lots and the roads that connect them. Then there are traffic lights ,signs, Traffic police and pollution. ahhh!

Also, since being here, I have learned quite a bit about the American auto industry and how they have stifled innovation and advancement. It's frustrating. A car is very useful when I need stuff from the lumberyard, or the art supply store, and I would like to support American workers by buying American, but 3/4 of the American cars are rubbish. They get horrible gas mileage, have poor safety ratings, and frankly look like crap. What am I supposed to do? I know, I'll buy a Toyota Endo! Super Cute!

I'll be moving away from Michigan in about 14 months and I can't wait. I'm going to move back to Portland, Or. where people recycle, there are bike lanes, sidewalks, public transportation and inter-city parks. Fuck Michigan!

Sorry abou the rant.

No comments: